Friday, September 3, 2010

Am I Being Too Vague?

While I was in class the other day I overheard somebody say, "this classroom is too hot." Being in the classroom myself I understood what was meant of this statement. This classroom was in the building that unfortunately has no air conditioning and it was a ninety degree day outside. If somebody who wasn't in the class could have many questions to make the statement more clear such as; where is your classroom? Is the heater on in the room? Are people moving around making it warmer? Why don't you just turn on the AC?
Even though this sentence seems straight forward it can still bring up many questions like those making it a vague statement. We use vague statements all the time (even this was vague). It is so common to be vague because it gets to the point quicker than explaining everything that factors in to the situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment