Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Subjective and Objective Claims

After my roommate came back from class she insisted that, "it is so cold outside." After she said this I took put on a sweatshirt and headed out for my class, but when I got outside it wasn't cold at all. I felt that although it was windy, the temperature was warm and my sweatshirt was unnecessary. Her opinion on the temperature outside was different than mine making this a subjective claim. Her opinion on the temperature was different than mine, but can't be determined as neither true or false.
An objective claim is a statement that can be proven true or false. The one that comes to mind is, "my house number is 60 1/2." Besides the crazy looks I get after saying this, it is a true fact. House numbers are something that are permanent and unless I was lying about where I live, 60 1/2 can be proven true as my house number.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Ruby. I like your example of a subjective claim. I too used an example of temperature for the subjective claim. Because everyone has different tolerant levels of cold and hot, using temperature is one of the most subjective claims I believe; it is so heavily based upon opinion. Your example of an objective claim works well, too! Your strange house number is a fact; there is no way for someone to interpret this differently because there is no room for opinion. Fact is fact. I enjoyed both of your examples; I could tell they were both well thought out and thus easy to understand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruby,

    Your example of a subjective claim is an excellent one. I can also relate with a very similar experience. A coworker of mine usually wears a sweatshirt or a jacket throughout the summer while the air conditioning is running in our office. Obviously, her opinion of the weather being warm differs from mine, and also the majority of the others in the office.

    The objective claim example is a perfect example in the every day world. Though someone may doubt your street address, I am sure you know where you reside. Having said that, I have not met anyone that has a 1/2 on their address.

    -Darren

    ReplyDelete